Monday, March 16, 2015

Day 4. Yellow Label. Goldstar. Matkot.


Luckily, our hotel doesn't charge us for guests who can travel inside a suitcase. I would tell you all of their names, but I can't keep up. Grandma - as you can see, Ben had a hard time picking just 3 to bring with us to Israel. 

The kids were in charge of packing their own carry on luggage. We instructed Ben to keep his guest count to 3 or less. When we arrived, we discovered he sacrificed games, food, socks, and other items in order to make room in his bag for his friends. 


I'll spare you the details about today. I worry if I wrote about it, there would be a collective eye roll. O wow. Look at them. Spending all of this time in the sand and looking at the ocean. Blah blah blah. And it's not enough for them to just enjoy it...they need to take pictures and write about it...blah blah blah. But there was quite a bit of just that today. More time enjoying our time by the sea. 

Now that we've spent a few days here, I think Tel Aviv is overlooked as a destination. Everyone is in such a big hurry to get to Jerusalem or Bethlehem or Masada or...pick your place that has a story about it in the bible. But Tel Aviv...it's great. Modern city, nice hotels, beautiful beach, beautiful people who love to exercise in public while they show off their model-like bodies (which, of course, is how I fit in), and an awesome food scene. Which leads me to the hummus. 

The hummus. I finally made it. Abu Hassan. 

Like the previous days, vacation time kicked in. All of the sudden it was 12:30. I needed to act fast or Abu would be out of hummus. He place is in Jaffa, about a 15 minute taxi ride away. I jumped out of the pool and ran for the exit. "I'll be back!" I yelled to Elaine. "I need to go see Abu Hassan!!" 

I went out to the street and found a taxi. I asked the driver, "Abu Hassan??" 

"Ah. Hummus. Yes, my friend. Everyone knows Abu." 

And off we went. I made it there, ordered some hummus and bread for take out, and then returned to the hotel, where I could enjoy this special treat with my family. Delicious. They served it with something I've never had with hummus before - a pickled green hot pepper, water, and vinegar sauce that you splash over the hummus. And the bread was obviously fresh and very very delicious. 




We are off to Tiberius tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment